According to a recent article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Missouri health officials are anxiously awaiting word regarding tests on a batch of powdered infant formula that was recently removed from store following the death of a Missouri newborn who consumed it and died of a rare infection.
The source of the bacteria in this case has yet to be determined but it can occur naturally in plants such as wheat and rice. Manufacturers routinely test for such germs but this may be one case where such precautions were not enough.
Preliminary hospital tests indicated that infant from Lebanon, Missouri, died of a rare infection caused by bacteria known as Cronobacter sakazakii. Though the infection is treatable it is extremely dangerous to babies less than 1 month old and any that were born prematurely.
Wal-Mart has pulled the Enfamil Newborn formula from its shelves at more than 3,000 stores nationwide as a precaution after the death of the child. However, the next step of recalling the formula has not yet occurred as the manufacturer claims test showed no bacteria was present in the batch shipped to retailers. Further tests are underway.
Wal-Mart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said that customers who bought formula in 12.5-ounce cans with the lot number ZP1K7G may return them for a refund or exchange.
The death of a 1-month-old from Granite City is also under investigation. The girl, born four weeks premature on November 26, 2011, seemed congested before she stopped breathing early Wednesday morning. It isn’t clear if she ingested the Enfamil formula under investigation.
A third infant, from Illinois, fell ill with the same bacterial infection as Cornett after consuming several types of powdered baby formula in the last month. Fortunately that child has recovered after receiving treatment in a Missouri hospital.
Health officials suggest parents take the following steps to help guard against possible infection:
- Sanitize bottles and the nipples before using.
- Bring water that will be used in formula to a boil for two minutes.
- Discard any unused formula.
If you or someone you know has suffered a tragic accident related to infant formula, please don’t hesitate to contact the experienced St. Louis personal injury attorneys at Page Law. To learn more about how we can help, call us today at (314) 322-8515.
Source: “Baby formula pulled from shelves after Missouri infant’s death,” by Blythe Bernhard, published at STLToday.com.
See Our Related Blog Posts:
For a Safe and Fun Holiday, Consider These Toy Safety Tips
Protecting Children from Burn Injuries